This page contains brainstorming about potential changes in the set of characters depicted in Who's Cuter, to be incorporated into a future revision.
It may be used for other types of feature requests and bug reports.
Specific requests for replacement
- Natalie Portman: Replace with another, more recently active celebrity
- Or if we take the theme to be "online communities" (that is, Slashdot) rather than "actresses," perhaps replace with Snoo the Reddit Alien (whose merchandise includes a spherical "Squishable Snoo" form)?
- a dog: Replace with a different dog, preferably one notable as an Internet meme; more specifically, I suggest doge
- Cacodemon: Maybe replace with Mike Wazowski from the Monsters, Inc. franchise? This is of dubious importance.
- Hampsterdance: Replace with a fresher meme? No idea which one though...
Additions without decided replacements
- If we're including a dog, what about a cat?
- Any of the protagonists from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (did Tepples already mention this somewhere?)
- Hatsune Miku (and/or other Vocaloid character(s))
Weak or ambiguous cuteness
- Nyan Cat – highly-stylized fictional cats are not preferred
- Serious Cat
- Dora the Explorer - character design is cute enough, but the concept/setting may be considered creepy by some; see AtT discussion
- L'Inconnue de la Seine - more sexy than neotenous, therefore dubious for our purposes
Cuteness blended with an opposing trait
- Kate Micucci - large, wide-set eyes (this subtlety, as compared to any other celebrity, might not come across well on the NES picture...) - see this Funnyjunk post (drawing a comparison with hypothesized alien-human hybrids) and comments on a YouTube copy of a Conan interview ("She's so ugly-cute... like those inbred lapdogs that can't shit right... but also a bit sexy." - TheLivirus)
- Magibon - cute in both the Western and Japanese senses, but with potentially creepy staring - previous discussion, more previous discussion
- Aye-ayes - Imgur post with the wording "cute and slightly creepy"; see #9 of this CollegeHumor post - also qualifies as ugly-cute - should probably use a picture more like this one or this one - subtleties of hair might be difficult to depict accurately on the NES
- Tarsiers - Imgur post with the wording "Combining cute and creepy"
- Sea pigs (Scotoplanes) - ignore the article's infobox image, in which the sea pig appears to be bloated due to lack of water pressure after being lifted onto land, and look at the other image below it; look for Imgur and YouTube comments that mention the word "cute"
- Turtle frog - mentioned on Cracked
- Sea slugs:
- Selkie (protagonist of the webcomic of the same name)
- Erma (protagonist of the webcomic of the same name) - cute and creepy ghost/undead(?) girl with a mother of the same nature
- Something about The Nightmare Before Christmas or other Tim Burton works (TODO: specify better)
WalterMargaret Keane's "Big Eyed Waifs" (a.k.a. "Keane Eyes") series of paintings - alleged to have inspired Tim Burton; also alleged to be an inspiration for the Powerpuff Girls
- xkcd!Sleipnir, shown as a reindeer with spider-like legs (mirror (Explain xkcd))
Regarding cats, my understanding is that Longcat is undesirable due to the requirement for a picture in landscape format
South Park is still relevant enough - no change needed there.
It might be worth removing one of Yoshi and Toad (no opinion which one) if we need to free up space for non-Nintendo characters.
Is Espurr worth a spot in the Pokémon pic, or would that conflate pure-cute with creepy-cute too much? We could theoretically resolve that issue by having a separate image for each Pokémon, but that would be wasteful. (TODO: Any other Pokémon worth mentioning, especially those notable as memes?)