This is a copyrighted illustration of a character in a work published by the mainstream entertainment industry, which is known for putting next to nothing under a license for free cultural works.
The uploader claims that the display of this image in the article Men's gowns is a fair use under United States copyright law:
- Purpose of use
- To illustrate various ways men and boys wearing long shirtlike garments have been depicted in media.
- Character of use
- The operator of the web site makes no money from the use.
- Amount and effect on value
- One still at SDTV resolution or smaller, which cannot be used to reconstitute the original animation, other panels of the comic, etc.
- No. Unlike free examples, mainstream examples show that the pattern's breadth is not restricted in some important way. Relying solely on examples from pre-1924 works might imply that a pattern has since fallen from use, and relying solely on examples from works not well known to the general public might imply that the pattern has little interest outside a tiny niche.