I noticed that you have no writeup on the Selkies yet. Presumably, they are partially aquatic humanoids, perhaps incorporating elements of the Zoras from the Legend of Zelda universe and the Gungans from the Star Wars universe. I assume you are having difficulty incorporating them into the DX Town storyline because natural bodies of water do not comprise a large portion of the currently planned setting area; would breaking DX Town into multiple "episodes" be of any help?
If I come up with more details, I will put them in my userspace.
Could Playable races be merged with this page, in order to provide a clearer listing as to which races are playable and which are not? Eighty5cacao 12:20, 26 November 2010 (MST) (last edit 18:02, 27 November 2010 (MST))
- I addressed one concern in Talk:Playable races. As for selkies, I guess the page might draw from North Atlantic selkie legends, the aquatic ape hypothesis, and possibly Yupik people, making wetsuits from the hides of phocids. What effect might this have on the evolution and possible domestication of seals? --Tepples 15:03, 2 December 2010 (MST)
- To deal with your points in order: I thought about redacting from my post the issue that was already resolved, but my common wiki-sense said otherwise.
- Sorry for listing fictional precedents that would not be of much help except to copyright infringement. I already knew a bit about the "original" selkies (otherwise I would not have posted this topic at all), as well as about the aquatic ape hypothesis, but those didn't come to mind for some reason. I was thinking too much about the physical appearance of these characters.
- As for domestication of seals, I would need additional time to answer that. The reason is that I didn't previously consider the possibility of settings within DX Town cold enough for seals to thrive. (I was thinking about bodies of water in more temperate climates.) Eighty5cacao 19:15, 2 December 2010 (MST)
- Penguins in the real world are seal food. Most live south of 60 degrees south latitude, but there are temperate penguins. In fact, one penguin species lives on an archipelago off the coast of Ecuador, which has a temperate-like climate thanks to the Humboldt Current. Likewise, there are seals in less-cold climates.
- I was trying to document the world in which the games take place, even games other than DX Town. As for DX Town specifically: AC series is all over the place about this. It appears to take place in a temperate climate, given the ability of citrus, maloid, and prunoid trees to bear fruit, yet there are what appear to be Atlas Cedar in the northern 128 m (2 rows of acres) and coconut palms in the southernmost row of acres near the beach. Snow falls and rests on the ground from roughly December through February, yet the lake doesn't freeze over, and the trees bear fruit year-round. My plan for DX Town starts in a temperate town but has other towns that the player visits after getting friend codes from NPCs, and characters of NPC-exclusive races will live in such towns. --Tepples 16:44, 3 December 2010 (MST)
Regarding penguin habitats: Sorry for not doing my homework. Regarding "world in which the games take place...": I've had in mind your attempts to unify several stories into a single fictional universe, but I had difficulty envisioning everything that might fit given that DX Town and Concentration Room are the only well-developed stories currently in this universe. I realize that nothing I've been saying is really actionable; I hope I'm not wasting your time. Eighty5cacao 21:48, 3 December 2010 (MST)
- You're not really wasting too much of my time. Answering your questions forces me to find holes in canon and hopefully fill them. --Tepples 22:28, 3 December 2010 (MST)
List vs. category
To what extent is this list meant to be complete? Specifically, is there a good reason that brownies are not yet listed? (It appears that you intend for them to be either player characters or significant NPCs in DX Town. Am I correct?) Eighty5cacao 02:00, 6 December 2010 (MST)