Contrary to popular belief in parts of the western world, skirted garments are not exclusively reserved for women.
In the real world
Men in some cultures and subcultures traditionally wear shirts that fall between the calf and the ankle. In fact, wearing long, loose clothing to reflect the sun while allowing air to circulate was the only way that Cracked's Chris Bucholz found to beat the summer heat.
- West Africa
- Samaritans of Israel
- Arabian Peninsula, where it called a thobe (also spelled thawb), dishdasha, or kandura
- Palestine a century ago
- Christian monks
- Mevlevi order, also known as the Whirling Dervishes
- Tall T-shirts worn by hip-hop fans approach this
More photos and illustrations on Wikimedia Commons:
- commons:File:US Navy 030412-A-0000C-001 U.S. Army Lt. Col. Randy Stagner gives two Iraqi children a Humanitarian Daily Ration meal near the city of Najaf.jpg
In other fiction
Some well-known fictional men and boys wear shirts that fall past the calf.
- Prof. Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter
- Mickey Dugan from The Yellow Kid, without whom there would be no yellow journalism
- John Darling from Peter Pan
- Simon Seville from The Chipmunk Adventure, whose shirt a Cracked columnist calls "dress-like"; others agree. Even after the 2007 reboot they still don't wear pants.
- Pillow fighting uniform at Plumfield Estate School from Warner Bros.' 1997 film of Little Men
Terminology used on this page is as follows. (Report errors on the talk page.)
- a shirt between hip length and just below the knees; more likely to be worn with visible trousers
- a shirt, calf length or longer
- outerwear with sleeves, at least knee length
- Chris Bucholz. "6 Ways to Beat the Heat Without Air Conditioning (Or Money)". Cracked, 2013-07-23. Accessed 2013-07-24.
- Drew Anderson. "6 Important Things You Won't Believe Were Invented in Comics". Cracked, 2013-01-05. Accessed 2013-01-06.
- Jon Methven. "The Next 9 Children's Characters That Should Come Out of the Closet". Cracked. 2007-11-09. Accessed 2012-02-12.
- Rachel Rabbit White. "I only fuck guys with nice shoes". 2012-01(?). Accessed 2012-05-25.
- Post by booyah 2007-07-07
- "Then Again, They're Not Wearing Pants". Not Always Right. 2012-03. Accessed 2012-06-12.