Contrary to popular belief in parts of the western world, skirted garments are not exclusively reserved for women.
In the real world
Men in some cultures and subcultures traditionally wear shirts that fall between the calf and the ankle. In fact, wearing long, loose clothing to reflect the sun while allowing air to circulate was the only way that Cracked's Chris Bucholz found to beat the summer heat. But though it superficially resembles a "dress", it isn't women's clothing, despite what some members of the U.S. armed forces think.
- West Africa
- Samaritans of Israel
- Arabian Peninsula, where it called a thobe (also spelled thawb), dishdasha, or kandura
- Palestine a century ago
- Christian monks
- Mevlevi order, also known as the Whirling Dervishes
- Tall T-shirts worn by hip-hop fans approach this
More photos and illustrations on Wikimedia Commons:
- commons:File:US Navy 030412-A-0000C-001 U.S. Army Lt. Col. Randy Stagner gives two Iraqi children a Humanitarian Daily Ration meal near the city of Najaf.jpg
And in commercials:
- A priest and an imam in a commercial for ordering knee pads through Amazon Prime
In other fiction
Some well-known fictional men and boys wear shirts that fall past the calf.
- Professor Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts from Harry Potter
- Mickey Dugan from The Yellow Kid, without whom there would be no yellow journalism
- John Darling from Peter Pan
- Simon Seville from The Chipmunk Adventure, whose shirt a Cracked columnist calls "dress-like"; others agree, though Alvin apparently doesn't. "Looking into Alvin's eyes is like looking into a vat of powerful acid, perhaps sulfuric." Even after the 2007 reboot they still don't wear pants.
- Intramural pillow fighting uniform at Plumfield Estate School from Louisa May Alcott's 1871 novel Little Men. (A real pillow fighting league doesn't use that uniform, however.)
- Lemmings from Sony's Lemmings
Terminology used on this page is as follows. (Report errors on the talk page.)
- a shirt between hip length and just below the knees; more likely to be worn with visible trousers
- a shirt, calf length or longer
- outerwear with sleeves, at least knee length
- Chris Bucholz. "6 Ways to Beat the Heat Without Air Conditioning (Or Money)". Cracked, 2013-07-23. Accessed 2013-07-24.
- Robert Evans, Jim Walker. "6 Things You Learn Detonating Roadside Bombs for a Living". Cracked, 2014-02-06. Accessed 2014-02-06.
- Drew Anderson. "6 Important Things You Won't Believe Were Invented in Comics". Cracked, 2013-01-05. Accessed 2013-01-06.
- Jon Methven. "The Next 9 Children's Characters That Should Come Out of the Closet". Cracked. 2007-11-09. Accessed 2012-02-12.
- Rachel Rabbit White. "I only fuck guys with nice shoes". 2012-01(?). Accessed 2012-05-25.
- Post by booyah 2007-07-07
- Amie Barrodale. "Unappreciated at any speed". Salon, 2000-09-21. Accessed 2014-02-01.
- "Then Again, They're Not Wearing Pants". Not Always Right. 2012-03. Accessed 2012-06-12.
- Raoni Lacerda. "6 Real Martial Arts Tournaments Crazier Than 'Mortal Kombat'". Cracked, 2014-07-20. Accessed 2014-07-20.
- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot