Cireclinlin is a Discord server for fans of Cyanide and Happiness. In June 2017, its members were brainstorming a video game based on C&H fan culture.
After seeing a coincidental resemblance between one user's avatar and a Logan Kart 8 character, Itsyaboy suggested making a video game based on the personalities and memes of the C&H fandom. It'd be "self-insert playable fanfiction" as Cteklite called it.
We've agreed on a genre: 2D overhead adventure or RPG, somewhere along the line from Zelda through Secret of Mana through EarthBound to Final Fantasy. Graphics would be pixel art, staying within the limits of one of the third- or fourth-generation consoles, such as 16x16-pixel tiles on a scrolling 256x224-pixel plane, to make the asset load manageable for a loosely knit team of hobbyists.
The first playable character:
Others can be recruited into the party in various ways, including Defeat Means Playable.
- Age: Who cares?
- Weight: Holy $#!+ he's so light.
- Height: He doesn't need to crouch.
- Looks somewhat like Greasy Gary from C&H.
- George (YOGB/InHouse Lurker)
- Age: maybe 55
- Weight: how many tacos are near
- Height: idk Satan
- ASCII M4N
- Age: 350 million
- Weight: Diamond Ott
- Height: 1 metre tall
- Primary: Kicking
- Secondary: Shuriken
- This Ninja Frog has been an orphan his whole life. He learned his skills by himself. He has many friends, and a dirty sense of humor. Born in Japan, but recently found out that his mother is Canadian.(Rewording requested)
- Al (Alexandra)
- Age: In dog years, she'd probably be dead.
- Weight: Weight, weight, you motherfucker
- Height: 5'4"
- Vaguely resembles Noodle from Gorillaz
- The Man Himself
- Age: 105
- Weight: 1/2 whey
- Height: two paces
- Having lived an old life, he doesn't really feel like (insert game objective here) anymore. He passes on his knowledge to the young 'uns instead, though he's still got a few kicks left in him.
- He's old school. Doesnt like metric or imperial.
- Is an NPC from the start of the game, like the tutorial guy, but is playable later on
- Primary: Cane
- Secondary: Hat frisbee
- High Explosive Pigeon
- Weight:0 (Get on the scale already)
- Height: 2 ft.
- Primary: Flop
- Limit break: Explode. Deals massive damage to target opponent and then faints.
- Age: In goat years?
- Weight: Not fit to eat, that's for sure
- Height: Small
- Team pet, obtained from a farmer after defeating a boss. Useful companion but can be sacrificed to restore all party members' health and stamina or sacrificed to a god in some location for a favor yet to be determined. As TMH put it: "If shit hits the fan, you're dinner"
- A sofa that can be sacrificed to restore all party members' health and stamina.
- Yet somehow sapient enough to have a habit of "asking questions to make people think about their options".
To do: Front, side, and back drawings of all characters
To be based on notorious posters of unconstructive comments to comics on Explosm.net, such as the Judgmentals.
NPCs are drawn as stick dolls in a style reminiscent of C&H.
We may use the rush meter system with pasta-themed items to restore stamina.
Each map (overworld, town, or dungeon) is made of 16x16-pixel tiles. Each tile can have black and three other colors. A map can have four such sets of three colors. But in order to get a starting point, we're going to have to collect character concept art designs. It doesn't matter what size you draw the characters first, just that there are front, side, and back views. From the concept art, we'd make versions suitable for a smaller pixel size, such as 16x24 to 16x32, and then draw a town map to put them on.